20 May 2012

Why this was the best Birthday


I am sitting beside Mallory and Jess on my birthday in this quiet, dimly lit, thankfully uneventful ICU room. Although I have learned a lot in 32 years …I think that I have learned more about myself, my family, my friends, and my faith in the last 17 days than at any other point in my life. There is one thing that I have learned that I wanted to share with you.

I have learned to be grateful. 

Grateful that God gives us all gifts and those here at Egleston and Children's have the gift of compassion and an amazing understanding of the heart and medicine. I have also learned that no matter what your job is, your attitude and outlook on life affects others more than you think. For that I am also grateful.

I am truly grateful to have gone through this experience with Jess and Madison and our families. I have learned more about love in the past 17 days than in my entire life beforehand.

I have also learned to rely on God to see me through anything – this is something that I’ve known to be important, but never understood until now. For that, I am grateful.

I am grateful that even in these difficult times there is joy to be found. It is the decision to focus on the positive aspects of our existence and to be content with our circumstances that allows us to see beauty in things we normally take for granted.

I am thankful that I have learned that gratitude should be a habit.

These are not the circumstances I would want for anyone to be in …but being forced to be a strong, unified front has brought Jess and I incredibly closer to each other. For that I am so very grateful.

I am grateful that I have realized that I cannot always fix the problem but I can be there through it.

I'm grateful I have been able to see just how much good there is in life, no matter who you are. Finding good is possible, if you’re willing to look hard enough and …look at the obvious. These are the things that you should be the most grateful for!

I am grateful that I now realize you never know what kind battle someone is fighting so be kind to everyone.

I’m grateful that I have learned that being vulnerable is actually a sign of strength,

I’m grateful that I have everything I need – food, clothes, shelter…

I’m grateful that there are people who care about me, and some I’ve never met, that are thinking and praying for Mallory and my family.

Most importantly I am grateful that God has a plan. A plan I do not know or understand. But he is in control which gives us all a sense that everything will be alright.





7 comments:

  1. Dustin.........well said! And its amazing to me that as we all go through things, sometimes unimaginable, that is when we seem to be the most blessed, and are touched in ways we never dreamed. I am grateful for you and the love you have for your family, your friends, and for God. "In all things give thanks" and if we can learn to do that in the good and bad, we will be much happier in our lives. I am also grateful you had a special birthday and hope the rest of the day brings more blessings and good news about Mallory. there is no better state to iive in than one of gratefulness. With all my love

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so perfectly said! I am so glad you had a good birthday and for sharing these things. This was good reminder for me, personally, that we should all be grateful for everything we have. It amazes me how strong you and your family are, and I am so very grateful to have your family in my life, not only because you are awesome people, but because during some of the most unfavorable circumstances, you have taught me so much. Have a wonderful rest of your birthday, and i am continuing to pray for you, jess, Madison, and mallory!
    -Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am brought to tears. I have my own problems but they seem so small now and I want to thank you for putting this message so eloquently into words. I too must learn to be more grateful.

    God bless you and your family and know that I am thinking of you every day, checking your blog and praying that GOd will take good care of you in this arduous journey.

    Happy BIrthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless you, my friend. The Spruells (and all the churches we contacted) are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dustin, I, too, am very grateful. Grateful you had a good birthday,
    grateful for so many answered prayers during the past couple of weeks, grateful for your response to the difficult time you and
    Jess have been going through, grateful for the love you have for
    your family, grateful to have you for a grandson. I, too, have
    found that when I have gone through difficult times, it makes me
    more grateful for what I have. When I have been sick and then am
    feeling better, I am so grateful to be well. When I miss sleep and
    then I get a good night's sleep, it makes me so grateful. The
    bottom line is sometimes I take things for granted, and it is not
    until I don't have them that I realize how blessed I am. I thank
    the Lord for you, Jess, Madison and Mallory. I love you all.
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dustin, the grace and strength that you and Jesse have shown on this blog as you go through this time in your life has been an inspiration. This post was so beautifully written, and it reminded me to be grateful for all the blessing we've been given. We continue to pray for all four of you. - Kurt & Alli Kraft

    ReplyDelete