13 June 2012

Home Is Where The Heart Is

Mallory Kate is home... As I sit here in our bed listening to her sleep in her crib (which we moved into our bedroom :)) I am full of so many emotions.

Joy, fear, anxiety, hope...

I am sure many of you are in omplete shock like we are that our stay in step-down was so short. When we arrived to step-down on Monday they let us know of their plan to have us leave today as long as Mallory was doing well. I was completely terrified. How can I possibly bring her home when she has required so much care? I was then reminded by many of the nurses that I can do this. I have been by her side for so many days and I must trust my instinct and what I have learned.

So, here we are taking this recovery day by day. She is still very sick but to me, home is the best place for her to heal, grow and strengthen her heart.

We will be in very close contact with the heart clinic at Egleston. Our first appointment is Tuesday and I am sure we will be there weekly for a while.

We are still on our long journey of healing Mallory's heart and I will continue with updates on her progress. Thank you so much for all of your support and continued prayers as we start the next chapter of our story.

Love to all.




Many have asked what it is that Mallory has as a result of her sickness. She has diastolic cardiomyopathy which we believe was caused by myocarditis from an infection. Her heart function (ejection fraction) is at about 17% currently (normal for Mallory would be 50-75%). We will continue to monitor her function through our visits to the heart clinic as well as her ability to gain weight and grow.

2 comments:

  1. So thankful you all can be home as a family. Continued prayers for strength and peace. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy to read this news. I know being at home can help the healing process so dramatically. We continue to pray for you and your family. - Kurt & Alli Kraft

    ReplyDelete